Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

80 index wheel

• 02 Jan 2019 3:38 PM
    Message # 6979470

I don’t seem to be able to find an 80 index wheel for a Gemmasta faceting machine anywhere.

I’ve been told by one lapidary supplier that Gemmasta have been sold and they were told not to expect parts for 6 months.

I don’t normally bother with 5 or 10 sided stones, but there is one in this years comp. also a one in the US masters comp.

Their index wheels are 52mm in diameter, I was wondering if other members could tell me what the diameter of their machine index wheel is. If it’s close to 52mm I could easily adapt it to fit.

Thanks.

• 03 Jan 2019 7:37 AM
    Reply # 6980491 on 6979470

Hi Frank,

Recently Brian at Gemcuts (Ballina) announced he is taking over the manufacture of Gemmaster from Shell Lap Supplies who are retiring.

As a first port of call I would contact Gemcuts and see if they have picked up any 80 index wheels with any spares they bought.

Makky Brown on the Aussie Lapidary Forum posted pictures of some index wheels he printed for his Gemmaster on that forum.  If Brian can't help, it may be worth posting your question on that forum to see if Andrew (Makky Brown) or any of the other members can help.   I think from a response to a post I made yesterday Andrew is travelling at present, it may take a few days for him to see your post.

Do the designs convert to 120 index?  If so it may widen your choice of wheel.

regards

Gordon

Last modified: 03 Jan 2019 7:38 AM | Anonymous member
  • 03 Jan 2019 7:46 AM
    Reply # 6980500 on 6979470
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

You could also use a 120 if you come across one. Gemhunters Haven are showing one in their online catalogue.

• 03 Jan 2019 8:14 PM
    Reply # 6981229 on 6979470

Thanks for the responses Guys.

I’ve ordered a 120 from Gem Hunters, it looks like that’s going to be my best option. The 80 converts to 120 on even numbers but not odd numbers, however both the OZ and US stones are nearly all even numbered facet settings.

All cheater settings with the 120 on odd numbers are half an index, once you find where that is on your cheater it’s easy to repeat it. Not like trying to cut the stone on a 96 index with a nightmare of cheater settings.

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative