Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

Faceted cabochon

• 03 Jun 2018 6:13 PM
    Message # 6283270

Can anyone advise angles for a faceted cab, or advice as to how to go about cutting one?

I’ve used my Hall Xtra to make circular domed cabs (from scungy sapphire fossick - which turned out to be very shiny scungy cabs) and now I’d like to pick out a few nicer fossick pieces and try faceting a cab, but for the life of me I can’t find a cutting recipe online.

• 04 Jun 2018 5:02 PM
    Reply # 6284102 on 6283270
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Hi Terry,

If you have GemCad & Datavue, type in 'Rose' in the Design Name box then tap the next button till you come across designs that don't have a pavilion, there are a few there that may be what you're after. Paul

• 04 Jun 2018 5:48 PM
    Reply # 6284140 on 6283270

If your material is facet grade a d you have access to Gemray and Gemcad:

1  Choose a rose cut design,

2 adjust the crown so it has a profile approximating the profile of the cabbed crown you want (remember you will have a continuous curve not a series of flat facets),

3 start to optimise in Gemray but before you press the go button afted the optimisation window appears, set the monimum and mb aximum scale factors for the crown to 1.0 each.  This will clamo the crown ang lookes and force Gemray to maximise the pavillion ang li es,

If the design has a table, even if small, set all "All Facet" settimgs to 10 but leave the table weightings at 1, this will cause Grmray to focus on all facets and pop retty much ignore the table (which won't be on your stone).

Optimise and cut the pavillion to the optimum angles, then transher and cab the crown.

Regards

Gordon

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative