Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

Concave Faceting & Competitions

• 30 Sep 2017 5:52 PM
    Message # 5288445
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Take a look at the new tab above "News" there is a follow up article from discussions at the recent Seminar, a draft proposal for a new Faceting Group into competitions and a Survey. Read the article first then the proposal and if you wish you can respond to the survey or on this post. This is your chance to have your say. Please note the proposal is only a draft and is open for discussion. Cheers Paul  

• 02 Oct 2017 7:19 AM
    Reply # 5289988 on 5288445
    Paul, great work.  it is good to see a proposal coming from the discussion.  Until the new Group is created, competition committees can accommodate concave cuts in Groups 10 and 11. 

I think that this post could be too unwieldy if all comments on proposed sections 39A to 39D are included in it.  I think a separate post for comments on each section would be in order.

When interpreting legislation the legal fraternity must look to the context of the section in which  ambiguity arises and then if unresolved, to the explanatory memoranda and parliamentary speeches to determine the purpose of the legislation. 

Such a system is too unwieldy for a club based system such as ours, but the inclusion of a pre-amble explaining the purpose of the new rules and Guidance notes for each section should  help competitors and judges when interpreting the rules.

Yours sincerely

Gordon Perkins

• 05 Oct 2017 7:55 AM
    Reply # 5295680 on 5288445
    Paul,

you mentioned making the competitions more interesting.  John Maine also mentioned that the competition numbers were disappointing and at our recent group meeting, Bob Kelly mentioned we used to get over 300 entries in the AFG Faceting comp.

I was talking to another member who mentioned he used to compete in the 1980s and early 1990s, and was a judge.  Back then the competitions allowed you to enter your own designs and "it was more interesting". 

Last time I looked, the Central Qld clubs were running a comp where you entered any design you wished to cut and the cutting diagram for the design.  If you didn't enter a diagram, you lost 5 marks.

I wonder if there is a correlation between rule changes and the wane of interest in competitions?

Perhaps it is time to re-introduce a competition where entrants can enter any design they like within a set group, as long as it is accompanied by a Gemcad diagram of the design.

Such a move would encourage members to develop their skills at designing stones and optimising designs.

Yours sincerely

Gordon

Last modified: 05 Oct 2017 7:57 AM | Anonymous member
  • 05 Oct 2017 8:12 PM
    Reply # 5296465 on 5288445
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Hi Gordon, Cutters choice is a possibility, keep the ideas coming.

• 06 Oct 2017 8:08 AM
    Reply # 5297528 on 5288445
    I think giving the competition committees latitude to make choices on what they set for a competition allows us to adapt competitions to contemporary views and conditions.  I think this is a good policy to encourage.

Would it be better to put the new sections in Groups 10 and 11 and keep the existing groups 10 and 11 as section A in each of those Groups?  This may reduce the complexity of the amended rules.

We can always allow overlap between sections or put a guidance note stating in broad language the types of cut catered for in each section. 

E.g. This section is desiged to cater for symetrical and asymetrical cuts with flat facets or convex facets. 

Freeform Facet Cuts - this section is designed to cater for stones cut to the outline of the rough or which do not fit in any other Group or Section but which is cut from a single piece of rough and not laminated in any way.

Laminated Freeform Facet Cuts - This section is ...

Yours sincerely

Gordon

Last modified: 06 Oct 2017 8:09 AM | Anonymous member

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative