Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

Judging Manual

• 29 Jul 2018 10:56 AM
    Message # 6402975

I have noted in the Competitor & Judging Manual Part D.

D11.6.4   The number of Meets and Facets should be included on the diagram and Judging sheets.

I have notice a lots of diagrams in the Facet Talk do not include Meet points in the diagrams.

How do you include meet points on a diagram when using GemCad?   

• 30 Jul 2018 7:43 AM
    Reply # 6403725 on 6402975
    Anonymous member (Administrator)
    Web Master
    This is a requirement for cutting instructions for stones in competition only and is not a requirement for general use, as per GemCad you need to count them your self. hope this helps. 
    Ed 

I have noted in the Competitor & Judging Manual Part D.

D11.6.4   The number of Meets and Facets should be included on the diagram and Judging sheets.

I have notice a lots of diagrams in the Facet Talk do not include Meet points in the diagrams.

How do you include meet points on a diagram when using GemCad?   

• 31 Jul 2018 7:34 AM
    Reply # 6405716 on 6402975

Bob,

It's a good point though.  It's easy for a competition committee to forget to add the number of meet points when putting the gemcad diagrams into their schedules.  I expect many of the level 2 competition schedules miss this feature.  For example see the 2016 Qld Faceting Comp schedule.

I wonder it it would help if AFLACCA was to publish a guidance manual specifically for competition committies.

It could highlight the relevant rules and provide templates for pages with special requirements such as faceting diagrams.

Regards

Gordon

• 01 Aug 2018 9:01 AM
    Reply # 6407573 on 6402975

The Old Comp had nothing to do with the AFG so I would go to there web site page and put your ideas to them also complain to QLACCA 

Please keep in mind The AFG runs 2 competitions only, so all other National, state, or club competition have nothing to do with the AFG

Hope this helps

• 02 Aug 2018 8:17 AM
    Reply # 6409327 on 6402975

Hi Ed,

I wasn't grumbling about the Qld comp, it was just the first example I came across. 

My point was put in the interest of prompting improvement.  Clearly it is needed as experienced AFG members have a hand jn running the Qld comp. Clearly it is easily to slip up on the rule, hence what hope has a club got of getting it right if they have a relatively inexperienced committee if there is no guidance available.

Regards

Gordon.

• 02 Aug 2018 6:05 PM
    Reply # 6409855 on 6402975

Ok you are going in the wrong direction with this: 

The AFG has its own guide lines for their committee for running the AFG competition ONLY

if any AFG Club/Group wishes to run a faceting comp = Group 8,9,10 and 11 then they should ask for help from the AFG Board,

if you are a non AFG Club/Group then you should ask for help from AFLACA  http://aflaca.org.au/ as the AFG is a separate Body and has no control over that body.

Now if any Non Club/Group ask for help then the AFG would assist    

Hope this helps

• 03 Aug 2018 5:42 AM
    Reply # 6410788 on 6402975

Ed,

Amother illustration of my point.  But for word of mouth, I would not have known about that.  This type of info needs to be written down in a guidance sheet and published where people will easily find it.

Regards

• 03 Aug 2018 6:07 PM
    Reply # 6411527 on 6402975

So Gordon, sounds like you're putting your hand up to organise and run a competition? The Board is always looking for enthusiastic people to help out. We are looking for a Group to run the 2020 AFG Competition! It's Queensland's turn in 2020, you live in QLD don't you?

You're just the person to take it on, you will learn a lot! How to choose diagrams, put them through Gemcad & Gemray, Test cut them, put them into a schedule, organise a PO Box, organise Trophy Donors, organise Judges, Print the schedule, mail them to competitor requests, Take the entries in, catalogue them, update database, print showcase labels, setup the display at the Muster, pull it all down, return entries as required.....etc. etc. etc. Have I left anything out? You get the picture.

The AFG has a Competition Committee consisting of myself, Noel Warrell, and the Group running the Comp. We have a set of Guidelines to follow that is reviewed every now & then as required.

The Guidelines are for the AFG only but as Ed says, if anybody asks we will help.

I think AFLACA also has it's own guidelines, would be a good exercise to find out. Why don't you try & contact them. remember AFLACA is made up of members from each State & Member Body, You would probably have to start with their Secretary.

As you are aware the AFG is not tied to AFLACA for running competitions, we can do our thing if we wish but we follow the Judging & Rules Manual to keep it consistent and to use proper Judging Sheets.  

I can send you the documents of how to do it if you like. Go on! you know you want to do it! It's not hard, you can start now. The schedule needs to be printed up ready for presentation at the 2019 Muster. So you have just over 12 months to get it together. I've done it in 2008 & 2012 all by myself then helped in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and again for 2019  to get it to happen.

Paul

• 05 Aug 2018 7:16 PM
    Reply # 6414107 on 6402975

Hi Paul,

Was at the Moreton Bay Group's meeting today, we have agreed to run the competition for 2020.  Competition Committee to be: Peter Stringfellow, Hans Emmenegger, Rej Poirier, and Gordon Perkins.

Regards, Gordon

• 10 Aug 2018 5:07 PM
    Reply # 6452240 on 6414107
    Anonymous
    Anonymous wrote:

Hi Paul,

Was at the Moreton Bay Group's meeting today, we have agreed to run the competition for 2020.  Competition Committee to be: Peter Stringfellow, Hans Emmenegger, Rej Poirier, and Gordon Perkins.

Regards, Gordon

Congrats Gordon. I think you'll really enjoy it. New people and new ideas is good for any competition. 

Regards Cliff

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative