Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

Getting under the hood of my VJ

• 27 Oct 2019 12:49 PM
    Message # 8078671

I heard a snap, and thought “oh, crap”, and watched the lap spin down

The motor’s turning, the heart is yearning, but I’m stuck with half a crown!

The drive belt on my VJ broke. I have a replacement belt, screwdrivers, and some spanners. What I don’t have is any idea of how best to pull the machine apart to fit a replacement belt. I imagine it doesn’t require complicated open part surgery, but I don’t want to unbolt bits that I don’t need to.

Any VJ owners out there that have nailed this one? Is it difficult? On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard? (Say 1 = Easy as picking my nose and 10 = faceting a table with perfect meets).

Terry Spinks

• 28 Oct 2019 8:05 AM
    Reply # 8079432 on 8078671
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

My advice is to ring Mal, the maker of the VJ

on 07-41262155

Hope this helps

• 29 Oct 2019 4:30 PM
    Reply # 8081725 on 8078671

It's really straight forward.

First there are slide screws mounting the motor, ease these off so the motor moves in towards the bowl, you'll do the reverse later when the belt's in place. You don't need to take the motor off the mounting, just ease these screws.

Next unbolt the water bowl, one bolt with a spacer at the back and two at the front, these are socket head screws with nuts on the bottom, the one at the back screws into the main mounting, no nut.

Now slip the belt on to the larger lap pulley first then ease over the motor pulley and tension by sliding the motor away from the lap, tighten the motor screws, then remount the drain bowl and you're good to go.

• 30 Oct 2019 4:25 PM
    Reply # 8083371 on 8078671

Thank you very much for the advice and instructions. I have fitted the new drive belt and am once again a happy faceter.

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative