Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

Gemcad Diagrams v free diagrams

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 15 Oct 2019 7:24 PM
    Message # 7984809

I have a question, as a new subscriber and because I cannot locate a search panel to review previous topics,  why are the faceting diagrams in GemCad and why are diagrams not available freely without having to pay for and download GemCad?

I actually do not want to download GemCad but I do want to access suitable diagrams.

So can someone explain the error of my ways please?

• 15 Oct 2019 10:20 PM
    Reply # 7985022 on 7984809

As a member of the AFG you are able to get access to heaps of diagrams (pdf files) which have been published in past Facettalk magazins.

Also a lot of free diagrams are available on this site: https://www.google.com.au/url?q=https://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php%3Ftitle%3DFaceting_Designs&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjq9euznp7lAhXzheYKHV_9AuAQFjAAegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw0STYlQtxaLboiRYPON12LF

• 16 Oct 2019 7:11 AM
    Reply # 7985872 on 7984809

Hi John,

I suppose the answer to your question about why diagrams are in Gemcad format is that the programme was developed in the 1980s and has become the most widely used gem design programme.  I think it was the first, or among the first, programme with design optimisation routines and software. 

Anyway it has been very widely used for many years, and until recently was exclusively used for generating the diagrams used for faceting competitions.

One of our members Rej Poirier has produced and markets Gem Cut Studio, which is also a cad programme specifically for gem design. It will import and export gemcad files and was used for some of the diagrames in this year's competition  It has built in optimisation processes whereas Gemcad's main optimisation routine uses a separate programme, Gemray.

Both programmes read the database of about 8000 designs that is available to members.  

Many of the old designs have not been optimised and their performance can be changed from dead to lively using the optimisation routines in this cad software.  It is why I don't cut a design until I first check it using either Gemcad/Gemray or Gem Cut Studio, especially if it is for a competition.  It can make a difference to the "Visual Appeal" result..

If you are looking on the web for designs, Arya Akhavan and Volante both optimise their designs.  Arya Akhavan often comments on the performance of his designs over a range of RIs.

Yours sincerely

Gordon Perkins

• 16 Oct 2019 7:15 AM
    Reply # 7985876 on 7984809

Sorry John,

I forgot to add that the gemcad files on our website are for the designs published in Facet Talk.

Some back copies are available on the Web and copies back to edition 154 can be purchased on a memory stick  from the Supplies Offcier at about the cost of the stick.

kind regards

Gordon

• 16 Oct 2019 7:59 AM
    Reply # 7985962 on 7984809

Thank you Hans, I will look for the pdf files you spoke of;  Gemology Online ... yes I have scoured that site ... I need more, I look for particular designs.

• 16 Oct 2019 8:26 AM
    Reply # 7985991 on 7984809

Very informative Gordon, thank you.

I did own GemCad and GemRay in the late 90s, when RAM was in short supply and I have not kept it active over the years and I really did not want to repeat purchase a program that was lost to the void, over the years.

I just went and d'lded the Gem Cut Studio, and are you saying that this program will import GemCad designs and translate them, without needing to purchase GemCad?  I will investigate that. GCS is another optimisation program so I imagine I will need to own GemCad as well.  Therein lies the annoyance.

Both programmes read the database of about 8000 designs that is available to members.  Interesting.

It is why I don't cut a design until I first check it using either Gemcad/Gemray or Gem Cut Studio - So this is standalone software not reliant upon GemCad?

If you are looking on the web for designs, Arya Akhavan and Volante both optimise their designs.  Arya Akhavan often comments on the performance of his designs over a range of RIs. -  Yep, I am quite familiar with AAs work but I am looking for other design types.

And again, thank you for your time and input.

• 16 Oct 2019 8:34 AM
    Reply # 7985994 on 7984809

And in Gem Cut Studio, for optimisation, the first thing I want to do is alter the index from 96 - not available.  Yes, I know, it is a trial program but I want to trial the software in real terms.

• 16 Oct 2019 5:11 PM
    Reply # 7986583 on 7984809
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

If you actually owned Gemcad at an earlier time, you will probably be able to regain access by contacting Robert Strickland.

• 17 Oct 2019 6:19 AM
    Reply # 8022007 on 7984809

Yes Bruce, I 'actually' owned GemCad back in the days when RAM was in short supply, when "dial-up" was our connection tool and Malcolm Turnbull owned Ozemail - all long gone.

I have contacted Robert Strickland one time in the past and no, I do not have GemCad today (why, I do not know) but it is a good idea to try again today.  And I shall!

• 17 Oct 2019 7:35 AM
    Reply # 8042200 on 7984809

Hi Bruce,

I corresponded with Robert S about reloading Gemcad to my new computer.  All you need is a copy of the key he sent you to unlock Gemcad or Gemray, there are 2 separate keys, and you can download and install them on your current computer, or computers if you want to use it on more than 1 machine.

Regards

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative