Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

Faceting the Pharaoh's Eye and Video.

• 10 Feb 2018 12:10 AM
    Message # 5729358
    Anonymous
    The Pharaoh's Eye is a novel design credited to "Gems of the world" as Sapphire faceting guide number 37. Fred Van Sant tweaked the original design. He does say he has never cut the original  design. He explains girdle facets goes inward and comes back out again. Thus making it a almost impossible stone to cut. Van Sants design is also frustrating as I found some crown facets nonsensical and didn't work. I found that  in cutting this stone will take enormous skill and imagination as cutting it is all about feel and how good your eye is. I haven't seen any photo's or video's on the net of others who have cut this stone. Also, it may pay to polish some of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier facets on the crown. In my opinion the stone seems a utter folly that was designed in ones imagination, but never executed. And I wonder if Van Sant actually executed his own spin on this design. I had a red hot crack at it as seen on this video I made. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOnMbe_FKz8&t=107s

Last modified: 10 Feb 2018 12:11 AM | Anonymous
  • 11 Feb 2018 10:03 AM
    Reply # 5731093 on 5729358
    Anonymous

Cliff ,

I cut a Cleopatra's Eye some years ago using the design by Bob Keller.

Does require special care with small facets on crown around the eye - not suitable for a small stone ?

I think you'll have more luck than with the pattern you used  for the Pharoah's eye

John

• 11 Feb 2018 11:06 AM
    Reply # 5731150 on 5729358
    Anonymous

Hi John, I hope to attempt the Cleopatra's eye sometime. I should have downloaded the free design a few weeks ago from Bob's rockshop  faceting designs, but often he must run out of bandwidth to maintain his site. But I did manage to print off some other interesting designs. Regards Cliff

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative