Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

What Changes Should We Ŕequest to the Competition Rules?

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
  • 19 Apr 2018 5:34 PM
    Reply # 6110232 on 4969132

I'm also a cabochon Judge, and in Groups 1,2 & 3  there is provision to have a second judge that only judges Aesthetic Appeal.  Do we want to incorporate something similar for Faceting?  Anything is possible? All we have to do is get a Competition Committee brave enough to write  a section into a Schedule. I have seen this already trialled, not sure how successful it was. It was for a Freeform Cut with an  irregular sized girdle with all normal flat facets, no concave or fantasy.  I quite liked the idea, anyone with a normal faceting machine could have entered. 

The schedule had special conditions written just for that section, like which specific meets were to be judged, and facets were to be as per the diagram which also had specific notations written on it. Everything  was judged normally albeit some of the points allocation were changed to add more weight into Aesthetic Appeal. The Judging sheet was very similar to a cabochon judging sheet except the features being judged related to faceting.

No New Sections or Groups  are  going to be added or changed to the Faceting Groups as they now stand. AFLACA will not consider them as the rules already allow for these types of cuts, even Concave, Fantasy, Freeform etc. etc. in Group 10 or 11.  I tried at this just past J&R Meeting at Willunga.                                                                                                                There just has to be "Special Conditions" written into the Schedule, with proper diagrams and proper instructions. So guys, get your thinking caps on and come up with some designs.

Paul

• 24 Apr 2018 5:55 PM
    Reply # 6117328 on 4969132

Hi Paul

I know this is a little out there, but could we have an extra AA section called "cutter's choice - judging to be finalised at the muster".

To be eligible each entry must be accompanied by a gemcad printout of the cutting instructions with no notations identifying the entrant.

Judge 2 for AA to be replaced by a vote at the muster, each attendee to give one asthetic appeal score to each entry.

Kind regards

Gordon Perkins

• 25 Apr 2018 10:14 AM
    Reply # 6118806 on 4969132

Gordon,

If you take the time to read the Competitor & Judging Manual Issue 8 you will see that AA is judged but called visual effect. I sent Paul 2 web sites where we can get hold of some concave cuts so that the judges are all working off the same design as it would be unfair to ask the judges to judge stones cut to different designs as they would not look anything like each other and as a result the AA could defeat the perfectly cut stone. Why not let it ride along instead of trying to push the guild into an abyss let it ride so that all of the problems if any can be sorted out the concave guys will get to have a competition eventually these things cant be rushed as when they are set in stone that it what you get.

Ron 

• 26 Apr 2018 7:30 AM
    Reply # 6120301 on 4969132

Hi Ron,

Sorry, I had forgotten the distinction between AA and visual effect when I wrote that last post.

I was just throwing an idea into the melting pot.  AA would be more suitable for what I had in mind.  My idea was to a section to make the competitor think about the design or make up their own design.  Concave means competitors could adapt an existing design, follow an existing design or make up an entirely new design. 

AA is my greatest bugbear in other groups of the rules.  Statistically the larger the less bias resulting from an individual judges' view of beauty.  In Group 18 this score can vary widely between judges.  Hence it would work best at something like the muster where a number of people could give each stone a score.

I still don't understand the logic behind your comment about it being a strain on the judges.  I expected it would be like judging the first stone in a section each time.  If it makes a difference, then it follows the first stone judged in a section would be judged differently to the last stone judged.  I like to believe that wouldn't happen with our judging criteria.  

Kind regards

Gordon.

Last modified: 26 Apr 2018 7:33 AM | Anonymous member
<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative