Australian Facetors' Guild Limited

Faceting lighting

• 19 Oct 2021 9:47 AM
    Message # 11602406

I have been advised that the best light to use when polishing a stone through the loupe is a 40 watt incandescent globe. These  globes are no longer available. What globe have people been finding the best globe to transition to to give the optimum lighting when viewing a polished facet?

• 20 Oct 2021 6:50 AM
    Reply # 11633591 on 11602406

Hi Jim,

I use two lights, a craft light that stands on the floor shining over my shoulder for seeing meetpoints and an IKEA reading lamp on a gooseneck that shines from the opposite side of the lap to my mast.  The IKEA lamp is fort assessing polish.

the IKEA lamp is a single LED behind a little lense and is about 5w.  A 3 or 4w led would work as well.  It just has to be a point source brighter than the ambient light but not so bright as to damage your eyes with reflected light.

the light over my shoulder is a 28w folded fluorescent craft light but an array of LEDs would work as well.  This light is not for illuminating a single facet but several at once.

regards

Gordon

• 20 Oct 2021 8:11 AM
    Reply # 11635727 on 11602406

Hi Jim, I use a Craftlight Blue Daylight Globe. Incandescent 240vac 100w Edison Screw E27 from electrical products. com.au

I recently bought some for $6.48 each plus postage. 

They give off a white light and I use a dimmer in series with it to dim the light down for polishing. 

The lamp is a big desk lamp that sits over the top of the machine but can be manoeuvred in any direction and doesn't shine into my eyes.

I also have a standard Fluro ceiling light up & behind me. 

Hope this helps

1 file
  • 20 Oct 2021 8:53 AM
    Reply # 11637054 on 11602406

Mine is an LSB Superlux 19 watt max., bright white, reflex overhead 220-240 volt, plus a desktop flouro that is as old as me, nearly, but I have a blue light fluro for it as well and can still buy spare whites.  

• 21 Oct 2021 8:25 AM
    Reply # 11682349 on 11602406
    Deleted user

The ikea lights are great. But if you want to go all high tech, swap the standard led globe out for an LED WiFi globe. With the phone app you can change the brightness up and down for for perfect polishing as  well as the colour range from soft warm white to ultra white light for meet point perfection at the swipe of your finger on your phone 

They are the best thing ever 

Copyright 2015 Australian Facetors' Guild Limited  •  Site by Highland Creative